Last year, I worked with a school based-technology coordinator to support an interdisciplinary team of 5th grade teachers and students who worked on a project comparing careers in the colonial times to current 21st century careers. This project managed to involve the following disciplines:
- Social Studies- Students learned about the colonial life and times in America.
- Mathematics- Students compared the salaries of a doctor from the colonial times to the 21st century physician and analyzed the cost of living during both periods.
- Workplace Readiness- Students compared the educational and professional development requirements of the colonial doctor to the 21st century physician.
- Technology- Students compared the equipment and tools of the colonial doctor to that of the 21st century physician.
- Language Arts Literacy - Students created a 1st person narrative script that simulated the life and times of a colonial physician.
Gardner, H. (2007). Five minds for the future. Boston: Harvard Business School Press.